Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Kandinsky Art Lesson

'Image via Wikipedia


Wassily Kandinsky 1866-1944




















Materials: lids, cd's, etc. for circles & tag board geometric shapes for tracing.
I usually have kids use black crayons for tracing, which provides a black resist line when using watercolor paints. (Black crayons are easier on the budget too in a 25+ classroom.) But this time, with fewer kids, we used sharpie markers. Some painted with watercolors, while others used tempera.



Trace lines and shapes.






Then paint.





























































































Special thanks to Mrs. Smith's summer art students: Joshua, Riley, Haddie, Drew, Julia, Jennifer, Bijou, Sienna, Devin, Paige, Michelle, Lizzy







10 comments:

Shelly said...

So funny, I saw a Kandinsky at the San Jose Discovery Museum last week in the art room and thought that would make a great kids art project!! :)

Tisha Smith said...

You've been vindicated!
Uh-oh, better be careful getting those kinds of thoughts. You might turn out like me and not be able to go ANYWHERE w/o thinking "that would make a great art project."

Unknown said...

Love this lesson!

CountryFunMaine said...

Thank you for this lesson - I'm trying to get a variety of lessons together for the young artists in my childcare that are more than the average art projects we do now.

Anonymous said...

WOW, I just came across your blog and I am in art heaven!
Thank you so much for taking the time to post about your ideas!
I love art and crafts! I'd love for you to stop by my blog and see some of the fun we have and the crafts we do!
Thanks again for your inspiration!

http://mymontessorihomeblog.blogspot.com

Tisha Smith said...

Country Fun, hope your childcare kids like the lesson....thanks for sharing w/me that you appreciate this lesson idea!
Montessori Moments, Thanks bunches the blog compliment....I'm heading over to check out your blog right now:)
Tisha

tishalou said...

Hi - Saw your post on Crafty Crow today and I just had to comment! My name is Tisha and I am an art teacher in Virginia!! Tisha's on each coast! I love the Kandinsky lesson - I do a similar one with 1st grade to teach them how to use a ruler and a compass correctly.
I have started a creativity everyday blog -
http://tishalou.blogspot.com/

here is my artsonia site of my students' work -
http://www.artsonia.com/schools/greenville35
-Tisha

Anonymous said...

Wow! These turned out really well, I love projects inspired by famous artists. I think it's good for kids who find art daunting to draw around objects like this! Great, thanks!

Tisha Smith said...

Thanks lots, Carly:)

Anonymous said...

Just found this. I will be teaching this next school year. Thanks for the post!